During recent years, healthcare professionals have required access to many technologies at the point of care, such as:
(1) Hospital Information Systems (HISs) including Electronic Health Record (EHR) or Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems, Clinical Decision Support Systems (CDSSs), Picture Archiving and Communication Systems (PACSs), Laboratory Information Systems (LISs), etc.;
(2) evidence-based resources such as PubMed and Up-to-Date;
(3) clinical applications such as medical calculators, drug databases, and disease diagnosis applications; and
(4) clinical communication such as voice calling, video conferencing, text messaging, and email messaging. Smartphone-based patient oriented applications deliver healthcare services for patients with chronic conditions, which is the purpose of mobile health or mHealth
(5) MapmyGenome SNP or Single Nucleotide patient up to date information.
mHealth component of eHealth delivers medical and healthcare services through mobile devices
The World Health Organization (WHO) has recently defined mHealth as medical and public health practice supported by mobile devices, such as mobile phones, patient monitoring devices, personal digital assistants (PDAs), and other wireless devices”
Studies show wide adoption of smartphones by Healthcare IT professionals during recent years
Smartphones are becoming popular for clinical use among clinicians, and medical and nursing students
PDAs, the predecessors of smartphones, have been recognized in a systematic review article as useful in physicians’ practices for rapid response, error prevention, and data management and accessibility
Real-time clinical information at the point of care is very important in the practice of EBM, since clinicians may not seek answers to clinical questions after completion of a clinical encounter.
MapMyHealth can contribute to the personal diagnosis of single nulceotide polymorphismes.
Drug reference applications, medical textbooks and references for disease diagnosis, and medical calculator applications were reported as the most useful by clinicians and medical and nursing students, using specific gene profiles of health aware persons.
Single applications may not provide all required information, requiring use of combinations of applications, genetic mapping of an individual.